Community

Mayor David Maher

After a long, drawn-out electoral process, School Committee member, City Councilor and 2010-2011 Mayor David Maher was (re)elected to Cambridge’s highest office earlier this year. The Scout sat down with Mayor Maher to talk about innovation, gentrification and all the -ations in between.  My very first apartment was on Pearl Street off of Central, almost […]

City Voices: La Familia Amador

A teenage girl with a neon green pixie cut opens the lavender door. “Oh, hold on, I’ll go get her,” she says, then follows it up with, “I’m her daughter.” Within seconds I’m greeted by the sound engineer, the family dog and Brian, the father. Then Rosi Amador greets me in the kitchen with a […]

Scouts Honored 2014 Nominations Now Open!

Nobody knows Cambridge businesses like the people that call it home—that’s why we’re asking for your help in determining what’s the best this city has to offer. Give us your take on where to grab a drink or get a massage, and your nominee could take home the grand prize at the upcoming Scouts Honored […]

It’s Almost Pi Day

As you probably remember from third grade, Pi is the symbol used in mathematics to represent the ratio of the circumference of a circle to its diameter, and it’s expressed as approximately 3.14159 — which is why, on 3/14, dorks around the world celebrate Pi Day. Schools, organizations and businesses celebrate by creating Pi themed […]

‘Bridge Bio: Hector Acevedo

“I’m extremely blessed to have had the opportunity to be educated with some of the most diverse, creative, and inspiring young people in the Country. Being a graduate of CRLS and Hamilton has given me the opportunity to be among the best from two very different worlds.”

Introducing Next Step

If you haven’t already heard of Next Step, then prepare to be inspired. The organization, which was founded with help from the late actor Paul Newman, offers education and support programs to teens and young adults aged 16 to 30 living with cancer, HIV and other life-threatening diseases. Next Step is currently building a state-of-the-art […]

‘Bridge Bio: Jamal Abu-Rubieh, owner of Brookline Lunch

Jamal Abu-Rubieh is the proud and joyful owner of Brookline Lunch in Central Square. He runs a smooth operation alongside his wife and kids. Back in 1976 however, he would have never imagined being at the helm of his own food establishment. He was just a student at Wentworth with dreams of one day becoming […]

Click and Clack Talk Cars: Cheap Fix for Slow Clock

Dear Tom and Ray: The clock in my Jeep Liberty requires resetting every two weeks. Apparently, the clock is moving backward in time. After two weeks, the clock will be three minutes slow. What causes this? Is this an indication of a larger problem? – Atom

The Scout Needs Poems

There’s a little over a week left until the deadline for submissions to our Poetry issue–it’s time to compose or decompose, people! Give some airy nothings local habitations and names, already!