Community

It’s Almost Pi Day

As you probably remember from third grade, Pi is the symbol used in mathematics to represent the ratio of the circumference of a circle to its diameter, and it’s expressed as approximately 3.14159 — which is why, on 3/14, dorks around the world celebrate Pi Day. Schools, organizations and businesses celebrate by creating Pi themed […]

‘Bridge Bio: Hector Acevedo

“I’m extremely blessed to have had the opportunity to be educated with some of the most diverse, creative, and inspiring young people in the Country. Being a graduate of CRLS and Hamilton has given me the opportunity to be among the best from two very different worlds.”

Introducing Next Step

If you haven’t already heard of Next Step, then prepare to be inspired. The organization, which was founded with help from the late actor Paul Newman, offers education and support programs to teens and young adults aged 16 to 30 living with cancer, HIV and other life-threatening diseases. Next Step is currently building a state-of-the-art […]

‘Bridge Bio: Jamal Abu-Rubieh, owner of Brookline Lunch

Jamal Abu-Rubieh is the proud and joyful owner of Brookline Lunch in Central Square. He runs a smooth operation alongside his wife and kids. Back in 1976 however, he would have never imagined being at the helm of his own food establishment. He was just a student at Wentworth with dreams of one day becoming […]

Click and Clack Talk Cars: Cheap Fix for Slow Clock

Dear Tom and Ray: The clock in my Jeep Liberty requires resetting every two weeks. Apparently, the clock is moving backward in time. After two weeks, the clock will be three minutes slow. What causes this? Is this an indication of a larger problem? – Atom

The Scout Needs Poems

There’s a little over a week left until the deadline for submissions to our Poetry issue–it’s time to compose or decompose, people! Give some airy nothings local habitations and names, already!

‘Bridge Bio: Kathy Pilarski

“I love what I do. I love children. My goal is to make them smile when they arrive to school, because you just never know how their morning has been.” In the Scout’s newest column, Luis Vasquez gets up close and personal with the people that make Cambridge so great.

One Arrow Project Aims To Treat Vets

By Jen Hirsch The sounds of rain and bells and the smell of incense and moxa float through the air as Athena Desai palpates the wrist of a patient lying on the table in her small Cambridge office on Arrow Street. She pushes and then is still and pushes again, looking for a change in […]

Harvard Square Says Goodbye to Leo’s Place Diner

Yet another Harvard Square fixture has closed. Local (and Peter Wolf) favorite, Leo’s Place officially closed its doors for good on Sunday, December 29, 2013. The diner had been in business since 1949. For more on dearly departed Harvard Square restaurants and businesses, as well as stories of longterm business survival, check out our feature […]

Scouted: Ricardo Fitten, Poet and Scientist

Walking around town sporting his beret, Ricardo Fitten looks like a poet. He is, in fact, just that. On any given day, you might spot this Cambridge resident selling copies his poems for $5 each, outside Diesel Cafe in Davis Square, Somerville. He pulls out a folder with printouts and photocopies. Some of the older […]

SPOTLIGHT: Crossfit Medusa

Ever heard of a little thing called “girl power”? Liz Mellen, owner of Crossfit Medusa (1957 Mass Ave.), has been serving it up since she opened the gym, or “box”, earlier this summer. and the fitness-savvy ladies of Cambridge just can’t seem to get enough. Despite mornings full of practically back to back, fully booked […]