Community

‘I Am A Micro-Business’ | Personal Essay

This appears as it was dictated to Lilly Miman by Rebecca S. Scott, owner of Shepherd’s Run Jewelry. It has been edited and condensed for clarity, style, and length.  Not even a full week before the outbreak of coronavirus happened in the area, I was supposed to fly to Ireland to settle my mother’s estate. I […]

Scout Supporter of the Day: Dana

Our Scout Supporter of the Day is Dana! Dana reads Scout to find out what’s changed in her neighborhood. “I like finding out what new places are coming to town and which we will say goodbye to, or may have already!” she says. “Also like the profiles of local business and people who are impacting […]

Somerville Cares Fund lends support to those in need

Somerville Mayor Joseph Curtatone, in partnership with United Way of Massachusetts Bay and the Community Action Agency of Somerville (CAAS), launched the Somerville Cares Fund to provide financial resources to those heavily impacted by the pandemic on April 15.  Officials were inspired by the work of the organization United Way and Merrimack Valley’s actions to […]

Scout Supporter of the Day: Jon

Our Scout Supporter of the Day is Jon! Jon likes to read Scout to get a sense of what’s changing around him. “In particular, I love learning about new businesses that are establishing roots in the area,” he says. During the stay-at-home advisory, it’s been important for him to get up and get moving every […]

Scout Supporter of the Day: Tamar

Our Scout Supporter of the Day is Tamar! Tamar’s favorite thing about Scout is being able to stay current when it comes to her neighborhood. “We have lots of places we love to go in Cambridge and Somerville, and what I really appreciate about Scout is that it’s helped us discover some of our favorites, […]

Local Gyms Continue Creating Community Online

Opening Fly Together Fitness—a pole fitness studio in Somerville—required a monumental effort from its 11 women co-owners. They had a vision: An inclusive, empowering space in Somerville where people could build personal strength and a community alongside each other. And then, four months after it opened, the gym was required to close as a nonessential […]

Scout Supporter of the Day: Amanda

Our Scout Supporter of the Day is Amanda! Amanda’s favorite thing about Scout is learning about new places to go to and events to check out. “We love Scout!” She says. ” I love reading about new restaurants and shops and learning about community events and members.” While the stay-at-home advisory has her and her family cooped […]

Multicultural Arts Center Celebrates ‘Our Town, Our Stories’

The Cambridge Multicultural Arts Center is accepting submissions for a new creative initiative titled “Our Town, Our Stories,” a scripted play that uses the story submissions of Cambridge residents to create a narrative about their lives during the pandemic. “We are asking the Cambridge community to bring their humor, concerns, revelations, acts of kindness and […]

Scout Supporter of the Day: Doug

Our Scout Supporter of the Day is Doug! Doug’s favorite thing about Scout is checking out the What’s New section for updates on the local food scene and restaurants. One thing he’s been doing to treat himself during the stay-at-home advisory is making coffee with whipped cream on top “to feel like we’re getting fancy […]

Scout Supporters of the Day: Sarah and James

Our Scout Supporters of the Day are Sarah and James! Reading Scout helps give Sarah and James a sense of home and place in their neighborhood. “Scout helps us appreciate and make the most of our neighborhood by sharing stories about incredible community members as well as exposing us to amazing food and activities,” Sarah says. […]

Scout Supporter of the Day: Kaitlynn

Our Scout Supporter of the Day is Kaitlynn! Kaitlynn was introduced to Scout after seeing staff photographer Sasha Pedro’s photos. “I love that’s it’s a local small business highlighting the good in the Boston community,” she says. While she enjoys reading the local stories, she says one thing she has (understandably) been doing to stay […]

Scout Supporter of the Day: Anna

Our Scout Supporter of the Day is Anna! Anna says she gets a “sense of community” from reading Scout. “In a large city, it’s easy to feel a lack of connection to your neighborhood. Scout brings that connection back for us,” she says. During the stay-at-home advisory, Anna’s gotten to spend a lot more time […]