- This event has passed.
History Café 2: Engaging with “Difficult Histories” Workshop
June 25, 2019 @ 6:30 pm - 8:00 pm$10 – $15
We invite you to join us at the next History Cafe, where scholars Stephen Berrey and Tatiana Cruz will reflect on ways to grapple with “difficult histories,” based on Berrey’s expertise on the history of blackface and minstrelry. How do we deal with the tough stuff of history? Using blackface as a lens to engage with challenging histories, Berrey and Cruz will provide historical context, both nationally and locally, and invite the audience to share how they wrestle with examples from their own communities.
This workshop is especially geared for those who:
- Work in the museum or cultural sector
- With a personal or family history they consider “difficult”
- Are unsure how to wrestle with histories of slavery in their own communities
- Are interested in discussing the renaming of streets in Cambridge or removing the seal from the Massachusetts flag
- Want to discuss national news such as the removal of Confederate monuments or recent yearbooks depicting white people in blackface