- This event has passed.
Open Kitchens celebrates Black History Month with Chef Kabui and Foodies Without Borders
February 8 @ 6:00 pm - 9:00 pm$40.00
Please join Open Kitchens for a pop-up dinner event at the CultureHouse in Kendall Square, Cambridge. It’s a special celebration during Black History Month of Kenyan food and culture with Chef Njathi Kabui, an internationally celebrated organic chef, food strategist, urban farmer and food activist.
Chef Kabui was born in rural Kenya to a coffee farmer mother and restaurant owner father, both of whom took an active role in the Kenyan independence movement. He now resides in North Carolina. He will invite us into conversation to explore how we can participate in changing the way society views food, justice, and sustainability.
Chef Kabui will be joined by Chef Tony Njigua, founder of Foodies Without Borders, a Boston-based non-profit focused on empowering young generations and under-privileged communities in Kenya through culinary arts and sustainable farming.
Together, Chef Kabui and Chef Tony will share their healthy and authentic Kenyan food. Here is the delicious menu:
- Irush Trev Tea: Dry Hibiscus/ fresh Mint and fresh ginger drink, sweetened with organic coconut sugar
- Phini Soul Salad: Organic salad mix served with a fruity Fig/dates/Cloves/Cardamom fresh made Vinaigrette and garnished with Watermelon Radish
- Kateke Black Eye Peas: prepared with coconut milk, Turmeric, Red Onions and Crimini Mushrooms
- Mtitu Millet: A rice-like dish made with Millet, tomatoes, seaweed and Berbere spice.
- Chicken Rúkuri: Oven roasted chicken that is then de-boned and sauteed with garlic, onions, portobello Mushrooms and Cilantro
- Dessert: Foyo Plantain: Oven Roasted Plantain served with a slice of Avocado, Blackberries and Honey sauce
- Sauces: Chicken sauce; Vegan celery and seaweed sauce.
Chef Kabui has developed his cooking style so that it does not include any milk, eggs, peanuts, tree nuts, fish, shellfish, soy or wheat.
Before placing your order, please alert us to any food allergy or special dietary needs by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include name, contact information and dietary restrictions.
This event is limited to 60 guests. Your seat at this event is not guaranteed until you receive a final confirmation email.
PLEASE NOTE: WE CURRENTLY HAVE AN ISSUE WITH PAYMENTS VIA PAYPAL. We are working to address it, but in the meantime, please use a credit or debit card. Thanks