- This event has passed.
Open Kitchens Project celebrates Black History Month with Zimbabwean Cuisine
February 22 @ 6:00 pm - 9:00 pm$40.00
Join us for a pop-up dinner event at CultureHouse in Kendall Square Cambridge. Open Kitchens Project is offering Zimbabwean cuisine cooked by Tatenda Shumirai Ngwaru, an immigrant from Zimbabwe. She is an asylum seeker, intersex advocate, and believes nothing gets a conversation going better than delicious food on the table.
Tatenda has previously shared her food and stories at Chefugee, a New York City pop-up dinner event startup. She is the founder of True Identity, the first intersex organization in Zimbabwe that promoted community awareness of intersex issues. In addition to writing for Shondaland, The Huffington Post, Vogue, and The Root, Ngwaru is also the subject of the documentary She’s Not a Boy, which in 2019 was an official selection at Wicked Queer: The Boston LGBT Film Festival.
Tatenda will invite us to celebrate Black History Month through personal reflection of her unique experiences outside the traditional western worldview and to engage with our own stories of being on “the outside”.
Our Zimbabwean menu will consist of the following delicious and authentic items:
- “Fat Cooks”, a minced curry filled appetizer (wheat)
- Sadza, a flavorful side dish made with cornmeal (gluten-free)
- Nyama Yehuku, a traditional chicken stew slow-cooked with herbs and spices that offer it a unique flavor. (Contains meat. A vegetarian alternative with meatless mince/beefless meat is available only upon request.)
- Murio Nehohwa, spinach and mushrooms with flavors by the herbs it is cooked with (vegan)
- Queen Cake with ice cream (wheat, eggs, dairy)
Buy your tickets here: http://bit.ly/ChefTatenda
Before placing your order, please alert us to any food allergy or special dietary needs by emailing us at email@example.com. Please include name, contact information and dietary restrictions.
This event is limited to 30 guests. Your seat at this event is not guaranteed until you receive a final confirmation email. Ticket sales end on Saturday, Feb 22, at 8:00 am.