Community

Cambridge Honors Indigenous Heritage Month with Arts and Activism

What brings together hip-hop, painted doors, film screenings, and fry bread? Cambridge’s celebration of Indigenous People’s Day. The city encouraged residents to come out to honor indigenous histories in a month-long celebration of Indigenous People’s Day, beginning Oct. 14. Since 2016, the second Monday in October has been celebrated not as Columbus Day, but as […]

“In My Heart” Dance Showcase Highlights Local Choreographers

An IT manager for a pharmaceuticals company in Cambridge by day, David Orr is taking a different set of talents to the stage this Friday night. His contemporary dance showcase “In My Heart,” which premieres at Boston Center for the Arts on Friday and will run through Nov. 9, will explore themes of abandonment, loneliness, […]

2019 Candidate Survey: City Council

Welcome to Scout Cambridge’s candidate survey for the 2019 municipal elections, which will take place on Tuesday, November 5. We sent surveys to all candidates running in opposed races for Cambridge city council and school committee, and present their answers to you here. Today we are featuring the city council race. All candidates were given […]

What’s New: City Beat

Public pools in the city can’t take the heat State officials denied the city’s attempt to lengthen the nine-weekend season for the state-owned Francis J. McCrehan Memorial Swimming Pool, which closed for the summer at the end of August, according to Cambridge Day. The City Manager’s Office had been working on the proposed extension since January […]

Cambridge Art & Frame Is Your Pick For Displaying Your Masterworks

Scout’s Honored 2019Services—FramingCambridge Art & Frame at the Multicultural Arts Center41 Second Street, (617) 547-5944cambridgeartandframe.com Tucked inside the Multicultural Arts Center, Cambridge Art & Frame is a single room, its walls lined with frame materials and sheets of glass, worktables, and tools of the craft. It’s a workshop, not a storefront, and for owner Andrew […]

Library’s New Learning Lab Aims to Up Its STEAM Game

You can get a sneak peek at the Cambridge Public Library’s new STEAM Learning Lab this Thursday and Dr. Maria McCauley, the city’s director of libraries, probably couldn’t be more excited about its potential. “My biggest hope is that people, especially young people, will be able to think about careers in these areas, especially right […]

Cambridge Camping Kicks Off 126th Summer

Over 150 children started summer camp today through Cambridge Camping, a nonprofit that provides subsidized five-week camps to kids from under-resourced families. Cambridge Camping has deep roots in the city—launched in 1893, when the early summer camp model was just developing, the organization began as a way for children to spend a week on a […]

CultureHouse Brings Free, Public Third Space to Kendall

Kendall Square is getting a “living room for the community” as CultureHouse starts a several-month pop-up in a vacant storefront. Almost all indoor public spaces are commercial, with libraries being the notable exception. CultureHouse seeks to change that. It provides a place where people can come together to watch the Women’s World Cup (the United […]

My City, My Voice Fosters Teen Artistic Expression

“In the year 2222, Cambridge will be below sea level. Let’s reimagine what the Charles River area is going to be like.”  That was one piece of inspiration behind last year’s artwork for My City, My Voice, a six-week teen summer arts program, according to Teen Program Director Kenny Mascary. We are sitting at a […]

Voices Rising Celebrates 15 Years of Singing and Inclusivity

“One more time,” says Artistic Director Leora Zimmer, motioning to accompanist Soohee Moon. Moon strikes one of the piano’s ivory keys, and the note echoes off the stone walls and high ceiling of First Church Boston.  “And this time, don’t force it through your chest. You want to get on top of those notes,” Zimmer […]

Survivors Amplify Their Voices Through BARCC

Content warning: This article discusses sexual violence. About a year ago, Lily decided to publicly share her experience as a survivor of sexual violence. She began training at the Boston Area Rape Crisis Center (BARCC) to join its Survivor Speakers Bureau (SSB). “I thought it was a wonderful way to be able to give something […]